My Experiences: 5 Best Hair Products for Asian Hair
In this post, I’ll go through my personal experiences with some of the best hair products for Asian hair. If you’re like me then you’ve probably run into a hard time finding a product that can control your hair.
Compared to other hair types, Asian hair is known to be thicker and more stubborn. Even my barber has agreed that he had to learn how to cut Asian hair. These products range from low shine to high shine but the one thing they have in common is a strong hold.
I’ve also written a post about the best pomades for Asian hair. But pomade doesn’t work for all hairstyles, some people prefer other products such as wax and gels.
This product is a hair wax, and unlike other hair products it doesn’t dry out so you can run your fingers through your hair to restyle it through the day.
- Appearance – In my opinion, this is one of the best hair products for Asian hair when it comes to messy styles. It’s great because it has a matte finish which means your hair looks how it does when you just get out of bed.
- Hold – The hold is on this is really strong and will easily last you a day out. I have no problem playing a game of basketball or going out for the night with this product.
- Application – The wax is very stiff and a bit difficult to apply to your hair. Make sure to rub the product together in your hands to soften it before using. It is also pretty sticky so you may want to make your hair damp first as well.
- Scent – The scent is not too noticeable, it doesn’t smell like much. For me, this is a good thing because I can’t stand it when hair products smell too strong.
Gatsby is a Japanese company so they know how to make some of the best hair products for Asian hair. This is also hair wax and is good for shorter hairstyles.
- Appearance – Love that this has little to no shine at all, and doesn’t make my hair oily or flaky.
- Hold – Hold is very strong, perfect for thick and straight Asian hair. You can do mohawks, fauxhawks, side parts, or whatever you want with this wax. You can also rework your hairstyle throughout the day if your hair gets messed up.
- Application – Compared to TIGI Bed Head the application on this is super easy. The wax is a lot softer so it’s easy to style and work into your hair.
- Scent – There’s a slight fruity scent but it disappears after a short amount of time.
If you prefer some shine or a wet look than hair waxes aren’t going to cut it. You’re going to need a hair gel like this.
- Appearance – Gives your hair a wet and slick look. Great for spikes and longer hairstyles. If you want a more subtle shine, you can use less as well.
- Hold – The hold is super firm, this will keep your hair in place. Got a 12 hour day ahead of you? No problem, this will do the job. It dries fast and unlike other gels, your hair doesn’t get any white flakes either.
- Application – Like other hair gels, it is very easy to get into your hair and spread evenly. Haven’t had any problems with this.
- Scent – Not much of a smell to this one, kind of a slight candyish scent but you won’t notice it after a few hours.
From the same company that makes the Spiky Edge, it is similar but designed for medium, instead of shorter length hairstyles. Also great for both messy and more done up styles.
- Appearance – Similar to Gatsby’s Spiky Edge, The appearance for this is similar in many ways. There is little to no shine and has a matte finish.
- Hold – The hold is strong enough to handle many styles and lasts for a full day. It is also reworkable like the Spiky Edge because your hair doesn’t harden or become crusty.
- Application – The application is smooth and easy, no complaints.
- Scent – The scent has a subtle fruity smell, it smells good and isn’t overbearing at all.
- Appearance – Gives your hair a spiky done up look without too much shine, great for getting those hairstyles that look like they’re straight out of a “manga.”
- Hold – Hold is strong and durable, it will last for most of the day and through different conditions. I’ve used it on hot days with no problems, it also dries quickly
- Application – The texture is really soft so it is easy to style your hair. Also easy to wash off with shampoo.
- Scent – It has a pleasant fruity smell and is one of the products with a stronger scent.
This post goes over my personal experience and opinions on the best hair products for Asian hair. The most important quality that you should be looking for in a product is a strong hold. A lot of hair products just aren’t made for thick and straight hair. I hope my list of some of the best hair products for Asian hair is helpful!
Let me know what you guys think and if you have any suggestions.